Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Hanging out in the break room.


Just a quick one this morning before I go outside for some yard work. While sitting in the den reading the news and my email I became aware that it got very quiet all of a sudden. I have gotten so used to Ruffin and Bessie playing everywhere and following me around while doing it. I turned around and spotted them napping on the floor behind me.
I put Bessie on the scale this morning and she weighed 28 LBS. I am still impressed how brave she has gotten outside even when she has no backup from one of the big boys. She firmly stands her ground and lets out her little puppy bark challenging everyone she sees. And when Ruff is out there with her he immediately begins to bark too, even when he doesn't bark when Bessie isn't with him. Bessie has definitely taken over Sassy's spot. She was the Early Warning System and the leader of the choir and Bessie is doing everything that Sassy did.

  

4 comments:

  1. How is Bessie with house breaking and at night? Our boy cried at night, so he eventually ended up in bed with us, which was fine when he was 30 lbs, but now that he's over 120lbs, it's a bit more challenging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still working on her potty training problem. I give her treats when she goes outside but she hasn't caught on yet. I bought a wire crate with a soft bed and she has no problem sleeping in it at night. I keep it covered with towels to make it dark inside. I would love to have her sleep on my bed at night but I'm afraid she would jump down a leave a mess on the floor. She does not make any mess inside her crate. Hopefully when she is house broken she will become my snuggle-puppy and bed warmer. I have a large bed and my wife sleeps in another room.

      Delete
  2. The crate training definitely helps with housebreaking. I wish we had done crate training with our previous boys; we did with our current guy, he picked up pretty quickly. My husband is haunting me to get another dog, but I can't imagine having two of them sleep in our bed! Although we have in the past, but I'm not as young as I used to be! I love seeing the pictures! Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess crate training has two meanings. One is you train them to go into their crate by themselves. The other is you put them in the crate at bedtime and they go to sleep without complaining. Mine is the second one. Bessie's crate isn't big enough to hold her two years from now when she is fully grown and by then she will be sleeping on my bed. 20-years ago when I had Mocha and her mother Felony they both slept on my bed at the same time - one at the top of the bed on her pillow and the other at the foot of the bed. They took turns which was fun. By then my wife was sleeping in her own room so my big bed had lots of room.

      Delete