Saturday, November 15, 2014

Picking up where I left off.


I think the latest news first works best because it has been fairly busy around here. As of today, my little Rottie girl is 4 1/2 months old and definitely not so little any more. We have had Bessie in her new home since August 29th, which was 2 1/2 months ago. She was only 13 pounds when I adopted her at the young age of 7-weeks. In those 2 1/2 months she has grown to 50 pounds. I put her on a scale a few times every week and every once in awhile she has a growth spurt. One weekend she gained 2 pounds.  Here is a photo I took this afternoon. And yes, she is standing on the floor. And she already makes a good bed warmer which will come in handy this Winter.
Old man Axl turned 13 last month and yesterday he had surgery to remove two tumors from his lip and his hind leg. He took the whole thing in stride. I was very concerned about him getting anesthesia at his age but the Vet said he had no problems with him at all. The tumor on his leg was about the size of a walnut and hanging by a slim piece of skin from inside his rear leg. He has had it for several years. It was more like a large skin tag than a tumor and I wasn't concerned with removing it until the tumor showed up on his lower lip a few weeks ago. It was heavy enough to pull his lip down when he ate and the food would sometimes drop out of his mouth. The tumor from his lip was sent out to be tested and I am hoping and praying it is not malignant. 

Ruffin's war wounds are healing nicely and he is continuing to get six 500mg doses of Cephalexin every day. The Vet said he only needed the anti-biotics for ten days but I'll keep him on it until the wound in his neck is completely healed. He got this from letting baby Bessie chew on him while playing and of course, her being a girl and him being a gentleman he did nothing to stop her. She has needle-sharp baby teeth and she must have left his skin riddled with tiny holes that got infected, not to even mention it must have hurt when she chewed on him.

Ruffin will have his 8th birthday in two days and I managed to find some "affordable" filet mignon steak so he and Mr. Axl will share one for a joint party. When I promised Axl he was going to get a filet for his birthday I hadn't been to the store to check the price. When I did I found it was $23 a pound. I managed to get into Sam's Club and found it last week for much less. Photos will be taken but since the steak is small and will be divided two ways it will be eaten rather fast so I will have to plan ahead to get a decent shot.

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment