Monday, February 1, 2016

A funny thing happened last night.


Last night around 11 PM I took the three Rottweilers out front to go pee before bedtime just as I do every night. Last night was a night I'll never forget because I witnessed the funniest thing I've ever seen. Actually, it was an accident but thankfully no one was injured. I have to illustrate the story with a few pictures so you can fully appreciate the comedy of errors.
Bess has several Kong toys that she plays with. One of them is rather large and heavy and I don't let her bring it in the house because she loves to do pick up and drop, pick up and drop, and it just makes a lot of noise. So I make her leave it outside where we often play catch or I throw it and she runs and gets it. I can say this about Bess, she is as fast as lightening and when the Kong ball is thrown it always bounces in unpredictable directions because it has an odd shape yet she can often track it in the dark and catch it on the first bounce. So after we finish playing and they all finish their business I take the toy and lay it on the chair outside the front door before we go back inside.
This is where the ball stays outside. You can see it inside the red circle.
Last night as soon as we all got outside Bessie goes over to the chair and grabs the ball to play with it. This time as soon as she leaned over to pick up the ball the tags on her collar got wedged in one of the slots in the brown chair. Just as quickly as she pulled back on the ball the chair lifted off the ground and she went into a panic mode and leaped back to get away from the flying chair. The chair is plastic and doesn't weigh more than a pound or two and it really went flying over her head. And so did Bess.
Her instinctive reaction to escape from the danger from this large object that was suddenly attacking here sent her flying head over heals, as they say, and she literally landed on her back on top of the bush on the far side of the patio.
As I said, Bess wasn't hurt, physically, but she was terribly frightened. And I was laughing so much I had to compose myself first before I could make sure Bess was okay because I was standing right next to her when it happened.
As far as damage goes, the chair is almost unbreakable but the bush that Bess landed on now has a large hole in it. But I'm sure it will fill out next summer.
This was certainly a moment that should have been captured on video. A million-dollar moment and if you ever heard of the American TV show, America's Funniest Home Videos you'll know why.





1 comment:

  1. Poor baby Bess! Glad she's OK, that must have been funny to witness!

    ReplyDelete