Friday, January 13, 2017

A Beautiful Eulogy Written for Our Grandpa Axl


There was so much more I wanted to write yesterday about the passing of our devoted companion but I was too choked up with my own emotions to put it down. But there is one thing I want to say about the last words I spoke to the old Rottweiler as he dozed off for the last time. I told Mr. Axl I was relieving him from his duties and he could rest in peace knowing that I would finish his task caring for his Mom until they meet again.

Then I received the following email this morning and it brought more tears to my eyes. It expresses the sentiments that I was unable to put in my own words and the woman who wrote it has given me permission to publish it because it deserves not to be hidden among the comments.

Dearest Nelson

I sit here with tears rolling down my cheeks and a heaviness I cant describe. I have no words to convey how saddened I am by this email. I had been going through all of my backlog and was so excited to email you this morning with the updates on Paige and the Pic I took yesterday after your beautiful card arrived for her. But now I feel so upset by your news, and don't know where to start.

I can only imagine how hard it must have been to take him for that last drive. I showed Wayne the picture you sent us with the card for Paige and he was amazed at how long and well he had stuck it out. I also sit here and think about one of your posts that I was going to discuss with you, which now actually makes so much sense to me. 

You captured the most amazing image of Jacqueline with her hand on Axl’s head. You say that this is not a regular occurrence and I sit here and wonder if that was not maybe her bidding farewell to a great friend and carer.  Maybe she was telling him it was ok to go.. That she had You and Ruff and Bess to keep her company. Maybe she sensed his discomfort and eased his pain through her acknowledging him… I might be way off here, but I feel that she may have known, as they would with us.

My deepest condolences Nelson, take comfort in knowing that you offered him a life like none other could have, in allowing him to be himself and be a carer for Jacqueline, Looking after him so well and Loving Him Eternally.

Hugs and kisses with a broken heart
Flee

No comments:

Post a Comment