Tuesday, February 6, 2018

A funny thing happened at the Vet's yesterday.



Following Ruff's scary weekend I can't tell you how relieved I was when he started feeling better Sunday night. My worst thoughts at the time were that Ruff had given up living and was shutting himself down and preparing to die. Friday and Saturday were so bad he couldn't even stand up on his own and I had to lift him up on his feet with a belly band to take him out to pee.
Several people suggested that he was having a very bad reaction to the Tramadol and it had made him feel so sick it was too difficult to eat anything. That made a lot of sense when the affects appeared to be wearing off Sunday afternoon.

On Monday morning Ruff acted like nothing was wrong at all. He was up on his own and walking around and even ate breakfast. So I decided to give him and Bessie a treat.

I had a few things to do yesterday away from the house and because Ruff was feeling so much better I decided to taken him and Bessie with me in the minivan because they love riding in the car. We had four brief stops to make and they were not left alone in the car very long. One of my last stops was near Noah's Ark, our Vet, so I took Bessie in to get a toenail trim. I left Ruff in the car because he was sleeping on the back seat. The car has tinted windows so no one could see him and I opened one of them to let in some fresh air.

I always wonder about other people and their dogs when they describe how afraid the pets are to be taken to their Vet's. None of our Rottweilers ever feared going there. They actually enjoyed the experience seeing old friends and meeting new people. Bessie was very excited with our long drive and she practically dragged me into the office when we got there. I make no excuses for the way Bessie acts out in public. She is very friendly with adults, children and other dogs. She is just very excited when she meets them.

The waiting room at this Vet's office is a very large room divided into two sections with a short 3 ft high wall with chairs against each side. As soon as I sat down Bessie jumped up on the chair next to me and sat down, too. All of our Rottweilers have done the same thing there and we have been going to this Vet for over 20 years. This is one more strange thing that I have never seen other dogs do. They like to sit in the chairs just like the people do.

Bessie was excited to meet everyone so the first two women she greeted were on our side of the divider. As would be expected as soon as one of the women asked what her name was and I told her, when the woman said, "Hello, Bessie" Bessie had to go over and visit. That's how quickly she makes friends with strangers. 


Then while Bessie was visiting her new friends three more women came in and sat down on the other side of the divider behind us. Bessie came back up and sat on her chair next to me and turned around to see who was behind us. Then she stuck her face over the divider and gave one of the women a sneak kiss on the back of her head. Everyone watching her started smiling and laughing. This led to everyone talking about Rottweilers and they all admitted they either used to own one or always wanted one.
Bessie had a great time, made several new friends and everyone enjoyed meeting her. And Bessie also made a favorable impression on how friendly and lovable Rottweilers really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment